The migration process normally follows a number of steps:-
- Thorough audit and understanding of how the current physical system is configured. Operating System version, Network protocols, Physical CPU’s, Installed memory, Disk Sizes, Network Adapters, Tape Drives, Other specific interfaces.
- Specify require emulator hardware needed.
- Install and configure emulator to match as closely as possible the physical host.
- Check emulator using a test operating system for correct operation.
- Take backups of physical host or use normal backup media.
- Restore backup of physical host to the emulator. Normally from tape or across the network.
- Boot emulator and make any system configuration changes required disconnected from the network.
- Test the emulator for correct operation.
- Establish to required procedure to move into a live operational state.
If software license issues occur, the emulator has the ability to be configured with the same MAC address as the legacy host, which may allow the original application to continue to operate.